Thursday, January 22, 2009

Starting off the Year

Today I went to sew labels on blankets for Project Linus, one of my favorite charities. Many quilters, sewers and people who knit or crochet donate blankets to Project Linus. We, in turn, wash them, label them and hand them out to kids who may find themselves needing a blanket to hold. Diane, our coordinator, has an extensive list of where the blankets go, such as Williamson County Social Services, the Round Rock Police Department, Starry Night and lots of other places. I go once a month to sew labels on blankets or to pack them up for delivery, but I always imagine that one day I will be able to take a blanket that I have actually made to donate to Project Linus. It seems at this time though, that my life is very busy so I do the best I can by helping in ways I can manage. I was thinking, however, that perhaps this year my class could make several blankets for Project Linus and donate them to our chapter. That could be our service project for this year. Last year we sold jewelry from Bead For Life and made quite a bit of money for women and children living in Uganda... hmmm something to think about. Then I cleaned out Houdini's cage and let him scramble around the floor in his ball. Houdini is the name of the mouse in our room. I was about to walk out the door when I noticed the Hissing Cockroaches looking all sad in their boring habitat so I went outside and brought in the old aquarium that doesn't work and set about creating a nice habitat for "las cucharachas" and brought both habitats up to school. They are sitting on the animal shelf waiting for a new year to begin, just like me. While I was up at school, I fed the fish in the aquarium that I brought up yesterday. They're doing good so I set about sorting through posters. There's so much to do at the beginning of the year that it's almost overwhelming but also very exciting. I've been trying to take photos to capture the work and when the room is all finished, I'll post the new slide show on this website. Meet the Teacher Night is barely a week away!!!

But, then it was time to go out to my nephew's birthday party, He is six today and he had a "Kung Fu Panda" party with Master Al, a Karate teacher, who came in to teach all the party goers a few Karate moves. We learned to block, we learned to punch, we learned one kick and we learned how to throw someone to the ground. Then Joey broke a board with a Karate chop! What a great time.

What a well-balanced day! Service, work, and family! I need to keep this balance in mind so I don't obsess about work this year. I'll work on balance.....

No comments: