Thursday, January 22, 2009

End of Summer School

It's been a great day. I was even happier yesterday when I graded my students' End of Summer School Math Test. WOW!! Those kids worked HARD! I was really frustrated as I walked around the classroom supervising the test and saw answers that I thought-- "how could they think that?"-- but of course, it was a test and there's nothing to say during a test except perhaps, "You'll just have to do your best!" and smile encouragingly. But, after I graded the tests, I compared the End of regular school Math test to the End of Summer School test and was floored! One child went from a 20% to a 76%. Great, huh? But she wasn't the only one, just perhaps the most dramatic. Kids who had a 25% at the end of the regular school year went up to a 64%. ALL students made an improvement in their scores and most more than doubled their grade. Now, I don't say this to brag. Truly, I'm not the only one doing all the work in that classroom. I do invest a lot into my students-- even during a short amount of time like summer school. I work hard to make the classroom a learning environment that's safe and comfortable. I try to build in routines that make kids' lives easier. It's always easier for children when their day consists of a routine. Then they know what to expect and can concentrate on the concepts they are supposed to be learning. It's rewarding when you work so hard and agonize over your students and then watch them grow and bloom! THAT'S the best feeling ever. So summer school is over now. I sent them off with books to read and math packets to complete for the remaining time of summer. Do you know what I thought the moment I realized they were all safely on their way home? Can you even imagine?

I thought the same thing I do at the end of each school year....

"Oh, no! Everything they learned will fall out of their heads tonight when they fall asleep! Everything we've worked so hard to learn will melt away under the heat of the summer sun! I hope they read every day!!! Please, please, please let them read everyday!"

Please help them read!

No comments: