Thursday, January 22, 2009

Professional Development

It's the end of the year and while most people think teachers are already lying beside the pool, I have just finished with three workshops (2 that I've given) and am now thinking forward to summer school which starts tomorrow. I haven't even been checked out of my classroom yet!

I'm crazy about science and I am always looking for ways in which to integrate science into the core curriculum which was exactly what the presenter of today's workshop spoke about. Dr. Daggett is a leader in educational reform and we here in Pflugerville are filled with the desire to make our schools the best they can be for our students. We've spent some serious time looking at the statewide student learning expectations and developing "bundles" for our district. Now Dr. Daggett comes to us preaching things things that I would dearly love to see implemented here in Pflugerville-- like year-round schooling, looping with classes and reading in the content areas. (Yes, I know I'm spouting a bunch of education-ese, but this is how we talk when we are alone in teacher groups.)

Year-round schooling challenges the archaic notion that students need the summer off to help out on the farm. Let's be honest, most of my second graders are not allowed out of the house much less helping out on any community farm that may be in our area. It is my fear, that at this very moment, all their hard-earned learning from last year is seeping out of their head because they haven't picked up a book once since school let out! Year-round schooling gives students and teachers the chance to have a greater impact on student achievement through more "learning curves" in a year. What I mean by that is, we typically test students when they come in at the beginning of the year. Usually they have lost a few reading levels and some math skills as a result of two months of non-academic activity. In those first six weeks, we see huge growth (a learning curve upwards) in what they remember and learn. Then the learning "levels out" until we return from Winter Break where we see huge gains in learning again. Year round schooling typically goes for nine weeks at a stretch, then takes a two week "inter-session" break. That two week inter-session period is a great time to catch kids who are showing difficulties and need additional teaching or tutoring to get back on track. Other kids get a break and not all teachers teach the inter-session, so some teachers get time off then as well. When school resumes, we get that upwards learning curve again because not a lot of learning is lost, a rest period has occurred and we are off on another learning spree. Those "learning curves" occur more often in year-round schooling than does in a regular school calendar. I also like the fact that kids who are falling behind don't fall SO far behind. Teachers know that after nine weeks those students who are at-risk can get some additional tutoring.

Looping is staying with the same class for two years. I have looped several times and found it to be invaluable for myself and my students. The first time I looped, I was unprepared for what would occur. Like I had for every year before, I prepared the beginning of the year activities. Those activities are designed to introduce the teacher to the children as well as the children to the teacher. Teachers find out all kinds of information about students during those first two weeks of school. Children find out a lot about their teacher as well. Well, the first time I had looped, I had moved from 5th to sixth grade with my students and I was ready with the learning expectations students had to achieve at 6th grade but I wasn't prepared to find that all my "beginning of the year/getting to know you" activities would be worthless. We spent the first hour or so catching up on what had happened to all of us over the summer and then Crystal looked at me and said, "So, when are we going to get started, Miss?" And we were off. We learned so much that year! We had a year long study of whales and marine life. I knew that while Ernesto might smile and say "yes", he had absolutely no idea what I was saying to him, I had to push my ESL strategies to the maximum so he would learn English AND the curriculum. I knew who needed challenges, I knew who needed help, and I knew it all before we even started the year. All because I knew my students like no one else-- I had just spent nine months getting to know them the year before! Looping is exciting for teachers and beneficial for student achievement. It benefits everyone involved.

We are on fire in Pflugerville and Windermere Primary is an awesome school! I am looking forward to next year and all that will happen. I'm excited to try out our new curriculum bundles. I'm hopeful that the trainings I have given our teachers will result in increased interest in science as well as increased student achievement. And I am excited about this website. I think I will be a wonderful way to connect the school and the home. That ALWAYS works to our children's benefit!

No comments: